Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Creetown Railway Station

Railway Station (19-20th Century)

Site Name Creetown Railway Station

Classification Railway Station (19-20th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Creetown Station

Canmore ID 282276

Site Number NX45NE 57

NGR NX 47527 59957

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/282276

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Administrative Areas

  • Council Dumfries And Galloway
  • Parish Kirkmabreck
  • Former Region Dumfries And Galloway
  • Former District Wigtown
  • Former County Kirkcudbrightshire

Archaeology Notes

NX45NE 57.00 47527 59957

Ticket Office [NAT] (at NX 47525 59946)

OS (GIS) MasterMap, July 2009.

NX45NE 57.01 NX 47579 59942 Goods Shed (Kilwhirn House)

Location formerly entered as NX 47432 59963.

Creetown Railway Station is no longer used as such. The railway line which ran through Creetown was closed when Dr Beeching's cuts came into effect. This former Goods Shed is now known as Kilwhirn House.

Information from RCAHMS (LKFJ), February 2002.

This intermediate station on the Castle Douglas - Stranraer 'Port Road' of the Portpatrick and Wigtownshire Joint Rly was opened by that company on 12 March 1861. It closed to regular passenger traffic (with the line as a whole) on 14 June 1965.

This station is depicted (but noted) on the 1993 edition of the OS 1:10,000 map.

Information from RCAHMS (RJCM), 26 July 2006.

R V J Butt 1995.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions