Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Bridge Of Weir, Civilian Transit Camp

Military Camp (20th Century)

Site Name Bridge Of Weir, Civilian Transit Camp

Classification Military Camp (20th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Bridge Of Weir Railway Station

Canmore ID 282154

Site Number NS36NE 145

NGR NS 3935 6540

NGR Description Centred NS 3935 6540

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/282154

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Collections

Administrative Areas

  • Council Renfrewshire
  • Parish Kilbarchan
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Renfrew
  • Former County Renfrewshire

Archaeology Notes

NS36NE 145 centred 3935 6540

For second civilian transit camp, see NS45NE 93.

A hutted camp has been identified from vertical air photographs (CPE/Scot/UK 2777, Pt.IV, 5482-5483, flown 24 August 1947), immediately N of Bridge of Weir railway station (NS36NE 38) and S of the River Gryfe

At least 50 pitched roof huts have been identified laid out in 'streets' with a 'T' shaped building, possibly used as a mess and entertainment hall situated on the NE.

The camp was built to house civilian evacuees from Gibraltar, displaced at the start of the Second World War. The camp was probably occupied from 1944 after the evacuees had been moved from London following the flying bomb raids on the city. This camp and another at Neilston (NS45NE 93) housed up to 6,000 people.

The site is now occupied by postwar housing comprising Moss Road, Peat Road, Gorse Crescent, Church Road, Hillview Road and St Machars Road.

Information from RCAHMS (DE) July 2006; J Gingell via letter to RCAHMS, 7 July 2006.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions