Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Glasgow, Victoria Road, Plaza Ballroom

Ballroom (20th Century)

Site Name Glasgow, Victoria Road, Plaza Ballroom

Classification Ballroom (20th Century)

Canmore ID 281997

Site Number NS56SE 2185

NGR NS 58443 63349

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/281997

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
© Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Glasgow, City Of
  • Parish Govan (City Of Glasgow)
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District City Of Glasgow
  • Former County Lanarkshire

Architecture Notes

Opened in 1922.

Mostly single-storeyed red sandstone with two-storeyed east entrance in 'cinema deco' with cornice and blocking course. Cavernous interior with stage at south end and combed ceiling supported by pillars with decorative cherub capitals. The Plaza was famous for its steel-sprung floor, lighting and central fountain.

Demolished in 2006 to make way for housing.

Information from RCAHMS.

(CAJS) 2006

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions