Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Girvan, Old Station

Engine Shed (19-20th Century), Goods Station (19-20th Century), Railway Station (19-20th Century)

Site Name Girvan, Old Station

Classification Engine Shed (19-20th Century), Goods Station (19-20th Century), Railway Station (19-20th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Girvan Old Station; Girvan, Goods Station; Girvan Station

Canmore ID 281867

Site Number NX19NE 174

NGR NX 18596 98367

NGR Description NX c. 18596 98367

Datum OSGB36 - NGR


Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images


Administrative Areas

  • Council South Ayrshire
  • Parish Girvan
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Kyle And Carrick
  • Former County Ayrshire

Archaeology Notes

NX19NE 174 c. 18596 98367

Goods Station [NAT]

OS (GIS) ep. 2.

Not to be confused with New Station (in Penkill Road, at NX 19036 98366), for which see NX19NE 71.

The original ('old') station at Girvan was situated adjacent to the present goods station. It was opened by the Maybole and Girvan Rly on 24 May 1860, and had a single platform. This station was reduced to a goods station in 1877, when the Glasgow and South Western Rly took over the running of the Stranraer line. It was replaced by a single platform on the site of the present station (NX19NE 71), although this move was not popular as the new station was further from the town. The resulting pattern of services is unclear, but trains apparently called at either station for an uncertain period. The Old Station closed to regular passenger traffic on 1 April 1893, the goods station remaining in use.

D L Smith 1969.

Girvan, Old Station. This station was opened (by the Maybole and Girvan Rly) on 24 May 1860, under the name of Girvan Station. It was renamed Girvan Old Station on 5 October 1877, and closed to regular passenger traffic on 1 April 1893.

R V J Butt 1995.

The precise location of this station remains unclear. The GIS map notes a goods station, and depicts a small complex of building with a turntable (at NX 18633 98347) to the SE. This may suggest that this station and its associated buildings were more extensive than the above account would suggest. Smith's plan notes an engine shed (to the N of the turntable) and places the old station SW of this; a location at NX c. 18579 98344 may be inferred for the station building itself. A bridge (at NX 18470 98282) gave access over the Water of Girvan to Girvan Harbour.

The available map evidence notes a Coal Yard [NAT] at NX 18581 98384, and indicates the remains in outline.

Information from RCAHMS (RJCM), 27 June 2006.


MyCanmore Image Contributions

Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions