Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Edinburgh, Granton Gasworks, No. 1 Gasholder

Gas Holder (19th Century)

Site Name Edinburgh, Granton Gasworks, No. 1 Gasholder

Classification Gas Holder (19th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Granton Gasholder; 336 West Granton Road

Canmore ID 281286

Site Number NT27NW 20.06

NGR NT 22441 77091

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/281286

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2021.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Edinburgh, City Of
  • Parish Edinburgh (Edinburgh, City Of)
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District City Of Edinburgh
  • Former County Midlothian

Archaeology Notes

NT27NW 20.06 22441 77091

Location formerly cited as NT 22436 77079 and NT 22441 77093.

Gas Holder [NAT] (centred NT 22441 77091)

[ribbed vertical surfaces indicated]

Inlet Valve [NAT] (at NT 22419 77056)

Outlet Valve [NAT] (at NT 22476 77064)

OS (GIS) AIB, June 2006.

Architecture Notes

W R Herring, 1898-1902. Column guided gasholder, circular-plan; external framework constructed of riveted rolled steel; comprising 24 vertical posts with finials (each formerly carrying gas flame) divided into 4 tiers by horizontal tie beams; latticework bracing between. Drum-shaped steel tank to centre above 252ft diameter shaft of brick with cement mortar sunk 37ft into ground.

Historic Scotland List Description

Site Management (14 January 2013)

Column guided gasholder, circular-plan; external framework constructed of riveted rolled steel; comprising 24 vertical posts with finials (each formerly carrying gas flame) divided into 4 tiers by horizontal tie beams; latticework bracing between. Drum-shaped steel tank to centre above 252ft diameter shaft of brick with cement mortar sunk 37ft into ground.

B group with other contemporary buildings on gasworks site: station/office and main gates/gatehouse. Turn-of-the century gasholder still in use during peak periods. Originally intended as one of row of 8 gasholders (this was the only one built to the original design). Current flanking gasholders were added in 1933 (to W) and 1966 (to E). Has a capacity of 7 million cubic feet. The works was commenced in 1898 to supply much needed extra gas to the City of Edinburgh. The manufacture of gas was commenced in 1902 and the first section officially opened in 1903. (Historic Scotland)

Activities

Construction (1898 - 1903)

Project (2007)

This project was undertaken to input site information listed in 'Civil engineering heritage: Scotland - Lowlands and Borders' by R Paxton and J Shipway, 2007.

Publication Account (2007)

This impressive structure, the most elegant gas holder in Scotland in terms of its external framing, was erected as part of a £450 000 state-of-the-art coal gasworks for Edinburgh and Leith Corporations at Granton from 1898 to 1903 under the direction of their engineer, W. R. Herring. The main contractor was Graham, Morton & Co., Leeds.

The gasholder, now no longer operational, had a maximum capacity of 7 000 000 cu ft and is constructed on the telescopic principle with four lifts. The masonry tank, within which the holder moved up and down, is 252 ft 6 in. diameter by 37 ft deep. It is constructed of brick in cement mortar encased in a puddle bed and was built by Clayton, Sons & Co. Ltd, Leeds.

The associated buildings, including the huge retort house from which the gasholder was fed, have been demolished and the site, which is undergoing redevelopment, includes the new headquarters of Scottish Gas. The possibility of retaining the gas holder within the redevelopment as an outstanding example of Scotland’s industrial heritage is under consideration.

R Paxton and J Shipway 2007

Reproduced from 'Civil Engineering heritage: Scotland - Lowlands and Borders' with kind permission of Thomas Telford Publishers.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions