Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Roybridge, Mill House

Mill House (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Roybridge, Mill House

Classification Mill House (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Miller's House

Canmore ID 280706

Site Number NN28SE 50

NGR NN 27549 80771

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/280706

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Kilmonivaig
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Lochaber
  • Former County Inverness-shire

Recording Your Heritage Online

Former Station House, Robert Wemyss, c.1894, instantly recognisable amidst the rash of mediocre modern housing as a replica of others on the line, although here the station buildings have been demolished. At Bunroy, below Henry Burrell's School of 1876, a ruined 18th-century Mill in the woods near the river - L-plan, rubble with ashlar frontage, still with its stone-lined lade and wheel. Above, Miller's House, probably by John Rhind, 1870/2, incorporates an earlier cottage in its rear wing. It is unusual in having been built by the laird (Mackintosh) as a retirement home for local priest Father Donald Forbes, becoming the miller's house after his death.

Taken from "Western Seaboard: An Illustrated Architectural Guide", by Mary Miers, 2008. Published by the Rutland Press http://www.rias.org.uk

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions