Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Glasgow Corporation Waterworks, Loch Arklet

Reservoir (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Glasgow Corporation Waterworks, Loch Arklet

Classification Reservoir (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Loch Arklett; Glen Arklet; Arklet Water; Arklet Reservoir

Canmore ID 278991

Site Number NN30NE 11

NGR NN 37500 09000

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/278991

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Stirling
  • Parish Buchanan
  • Former Region Central
  • Former District Stirling
  • Former County Stirlingshire

Archaeology Notes

NN30NE 11.00 37500 09000

NN30NE 11.01 NN 35610 09400 Dam

NN30NE 11.02 NN 39481 09480 Aqueduct Intake

Loch Arklet (Reservoir)

Top water level 145 metres above Newlyn datum 1972.

OS 1:10,000 map, 1976.

Activities

Project (2007)

This project was undertaken to input site information listed in 'Civil engineering heritage: Scotland - Lowlands and Borders' by R Paxton and J Shipway, 2007.

Publication Account (2007)

In 1885 further storage of water in Loch Katrine was planned by a scheme to raise the level of Loch Arklet,

and carry the water to Loch Katrine by aqueduct. The original scheme was amended and the work was eventually carried out from 1909–14. The dam across Loch Arklet’s outlet is 350 yards long and made of concrete faced with red freestone from Annan. It is 35 ft high and 11 ft wide at the top. Difficulty was encountered in the construction of its cut-off trench. The water level of the loch was raised by 22 ft and its

length increased from 1 to 212 miles. The site was remote from roads and the nearest railway was 12 miles away at Aberfoyle. The closest point of access was at Inversnaid, on Loch Lomond. Material had to be brought to Balloch and conveyed by barge up Loch Lomond and then by a specially constructed aerial cableway over the hill to the dam site. The cableway required the construction of a small hydro-generating station for its power supply and this was built at Inversnaid and fed by a pipeline from Loch Arklet. The original scheme was designed by J. M. Gale, but it was brought into service by J. R. Sutherland, both engineers to the Glasgow Water Department.

R Paxton and J Shipway 2007

Reproduced from 'Civil Engineering heritage: Scotland - Lowlands and Borders' with kind permission from Thomas Telford Publishers.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions