Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Isle Eriska Bridge

Road Bridge (20th Century)

Site Name Isle Eriska Bridge

Classification Road Bridge (20th Century)

Alternative Name(s) An Doirlinn; Poll Nan Ron; Loch Creran; Lynn Of Lorn

Canmore ID 278931

Site Number NM84SE 58

NGR NM 89819 42434

Datum OSGB36 - NGR


Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2022.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images


Administrative Areas

  • Council Argyll And Bute
  • Parish Ardchattan And Muckairn (Argyll And Bute)
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Argyll And Bute
  • Former County Argyll

Archaeology Notes

NM84SE 58 89819 42434

Bridge, erected c. 1900. Single-track causeway runs between steel lattice-truses crossing the narrows between Loch Creran and the Lynn of Lorn. Granite abutments and single pier. The bridge, which has finialled railings along the trusses and flanking the N and S approaches, is gated.

F A Walker 2000.

This bridge carries what is probbaly a private road or track across the narrow channel of the Poll nan Ron, on the S side of the island of Eriska. It thus allows access to the Eriska Hotel (NM94SW 39.00).

The location assigned to this record is that of the (central) pier. The available map evidence [GIS AIB] suggests that it extends from NM c. 89828 42454 to NM c. 89809 to 42416.

Information from RCAHMS (RJCM), 16 February 2006.


Construction (1900)

Built. Carries access road to adjacent hotel (formerly a private dwelling).

R Paxton and J Shipway 2007b

Reproduced from 'Civil Engineering heritage: Scotland - Lowlands and Borders' with kind permission of Thomas Telford Publishers.

Publication Account (2007)

This bridge, carrying the approach road to the Isle of Eriska Hotel over an arm of the sea, consists of two double-triangular Warren truss spans of 74 ft. The girders are of riveted steel 412 ft deep overall with raking supports to their top flanges. The bridge has approach railings and ornamental iron gates for closing the bridge. The bridge, which probably dates from ca.1900, has a timber deck 12 ft wide and a 20 ton weight restriction.

R Paxton and Jim Shipway 2007b

Reproduced from 'Civil Engineering heritage: Scotland - Highlands and Islands' with kind permission from Thomas Telford Publishers. Civil Engineering heritage: Scotland Highlands and Islands


MyCanmore Image Contributions

Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions