Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Peebles To Symington Junction Railway, Neidpath Tunnel

Railway Tunnel (19-20th Century)

Site Name Peebles To Symington Junction Railway, Neidpath Tunnel

Classification Railway Tunnel (19-20th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Peebles Tunnel; South Park Wood

Canmore ID 278380

Site Number NT24SW 163

NGR NT 23675 40305

NGR Description NT 23405 40248 to NT 23947 40326

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/278380

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Collections

Administrative Areas

  • Council Scottish Borders, The
  • Parish Peebles
  • Former Region Borders
  • Former District Tweeddale
  • Former County Peebles-shire

Archaeology Notes

NT24SW 163 23405 40248 to 23947 40326

For associated railway viaduct (adjacent to W), see NT24SW 80.

Peebles Tunnel (also known as Neidpath Tunnel): the most notable engineering feature on the [Peebles-Symington] 'extension line', this brick-lined tunnel was 674 yds [616.5m] long and carried the line beneath South Park Wood, to emerge within sight of Peebles. It was entered through stone horseshoe-shaped portals.

William Scott, the contractor for the tunnel, brought in 10,000ft of timber from Leith and 6000 tons of bricks from Millerhill, Dalkeith and Portobello via Hardengreem Junction [NBR} to Peebles.

P Marshall 2005.

This tunnel formerly carried the Symington-Peebles branch line of the Caledonian Rly under South Park Wood and along the S bank of the River Tweed to the S of Neidpath Castle (NT24SW 22). This line closed to regular passenger traffic on 5 June 1950.

Information from RCAHMS (RJCM), 26 January 2006.

G Daniels and L Dench 1980.

The figure of 674 yards [616.5m] that is commonly cited for the length of this tunnel is apparently incorrect. GIS/Autocad anlaysis of a digitised OS map indicates a figure of approximately 601 yards [549.6m].

Information from Mr S Smith, 15 May 2009.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions