Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Glasgow, Carmyle, Railway Viaduct

Railway Viaduct (19-20th Century)

Site Name Glasgow, Carmyle, Railway Viaduct

Classification Railway Viaduct (19-20th Century)

Alternative Name(s) River Clyde; Carmyle Viaduct

Canmore ID 278042

Site Number NS66SE 158

NGR NS 65560 61532

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/278042

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council South Lanarkshire
  • Parish Cambuslang (City Of Glasgow)
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District City Of Glasgow
  • Former County Lanarkshire

Archaeology Notes

NS66SE 158 65560 61532

Carmyle Railway Viaduct. 1897. At the river end of Carmyle viillage, upstream from a fine horseshoe weir (NS66SE 157) is this striking disused viaduct of three long lattice-girder spansm with an extra short span at each end. The girders, all below the track, are of riveted and presumably steel construction. Side railings of the typical Victorian close-lattice form. The tall piers are of stone for most of their height, the upper part slightly tapered, but chgange to blue engineering brick a few feet below the girder bearings.

E Williamson, A Riches and M Higgs 1990.

This bridge formerly carried the Caledonian Rly line from Kirkhill Junction to Carmyle across the River Clyde to the SE of Carmyle. The river here forms the boundary between the parishes of Old Monkland (to the N) and Cambuslang (to the S).

The location assigned to this record defines the centre of the span. The available map evidence indicates that the structure extends from NS c. 65576 61596 to NS c. 65546 61474.

The structure is depicted, but not noted, on the 1989 edition of the OS 1:10,000 map.

Information from RCAHMS (RJCM), 9 January 2006.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions