Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Morar Dam, Hydro-electric Power Scheme

Fish Ladder (19-20th Century), Hydroelectric Power Station (Modern), Weir (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Morar Dam, Hydro-electric Power Scheme

Classification Fish Ladder (19-20th Century), Hydroelectric Power Station (Modern), Weir (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) River Morar; Loch Morar; Rhubana Lodge

Canmore ID 277877

Site Number NM69SE 22

NGR NM 68331 92276

NGR Description centred

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/277877

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Collections

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Arisaig And Moidart
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Lochaber
  • Former County Inverness-shire

Archaeology Notes

NM69SE 22 68331 93376

Weir [NAT]

OS 1:10,000 map, 1976.

(Listed among 'Smaller schemes'). Morar (1948): dam and power station on the River Morar. Average annual output 3 million units.

J Miller 2002.

This short weir has been constructed across the River Morar below Rhubana Lodge (NM69SE 23) and a short distance upstream from the viaduct NM69SE 15. This short river forms the overflow from the extensive waters of Loch Morar, and here forms the boundary between the parishes of Arisaig and Moidart (to the S) and Glenelg (to the N).

The location assigned to this record defines the centre of the weir. The location of the generating station and any power transmission equipment cannot be established from the available map evidence.

Information from RCAHMS (RJCM), 28 December 2005.

Activities

Build (1948)

A small dam, built by the North of Scotland Hydro-Electric Board in 1948.

R Paxton and J Shipway, 2007.

Reproduced from 'Civil Engineering heritage: Scotland - Highlands and Islands' with kind permission from Thomas Telford Publishers.

Publication Account (2007)

Morar Dam, Inverness-shire

(Institute Civil Engineers Historic Engineering Works no. HEW 2539)

A small dam, built by the North of Scotland Hydro-Electric Board in 1948. The power station is built in a cavern excavated in a knoll beside the Falls of Morar. Little more than a doorway and a retaining wall is visible. The

scheme initially raised the level of Loch Morar by only 3 ft, but owing to the falls, the operating head for the Kaplan turbines is 16 ft. There is an automatically operated drum gate on the dam spillway. A fish pass [approx. NM6829 9226] enables sea trout and salmon to surmount the dam. The capacity of the scheme is 750 kW, the smallest of the Board’s first three projects.

R Paxton and J Shipway, 2007.

Reproduced from 'Civil Engineering heritage: Scotland - Highlands and Islands' with kind permission from Thomas Telford Publishers.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions