Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Glasgow, Gordon Street, Central Station, Signal Box

Signal Box (19-20th Century)

Site Name Glasgow, Gordon Street, Central Station, Signal Box

Classification Signal Box (19-20th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Glasgow, Central Station Approach Viaduct

Canmore ID 277856

Site Number NS56SE 2183

NGR NS 58682 64783

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/277856

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Collections

Administrative Areas

  • Council Glasgow, City Of
  • Parish Glasgow (City Of Glasgow)
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District City Of Glasgow
  • Former County Lanarkshire

Archaeology Notes

NS56SE 2183 58682 64783

For comprehensive account of Glasgow Central Station and associated buildings and structures, see NS56NE 77.00.

Formerly entered as NS56NE 77.04 at cited location NS c. 58703 64878.

For (successor and present) Salkeld St Signalling Centre, see NS56SE 127.

This signal box was built in 1908, as part of the then-current major upgrading of facilities at Glasgow Central Station. It was situated at the N end of the Clyde approach viaducts, between the 'old' and 'new' tracks and structures. Worked on the then-innovative electro-pneumatic system, it allowed 258 signals and 79 pairs of points to be worked to be worked from the 374 levers of a single interlocking frame. Although it controlled only the immediate area of the station, it proved to be the largest such installation ever constructed in Britain.

It had become something of a 'period piece' by the late 1920's, when it was slightly modernised by the addition of track locking on the facing points. In 1961, it was replaced by the Semple Street signalling centre (NS56NE 127) as part of the electrification programme for the Cathcart Circle and in advance of that for the Northern portion of the West Coast Main line.

O S Nock 1974.

The precise location of this building cannot be ascertained from the available map evidence.

Information from RCAHMS (RJCM), 28 December 2005.

(Location amended to NS 56882 64783). Vertical air photography (106G/UK/1383 6196-7, flown 9 April 1946) has recorded this building at NS 56882 64783, on the end of the longest platform which projects past the midpoint of the new (W) approach viaduct (NS56SE 140.01) over the River Clyde. It is depicted, but not noted, on the 1967 edition of the OS 1:1250 map.

Information from RCAHMS (RJCM), 2 March 2006.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions