Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Glasgow, Glasgow Green, Former Bridge

Road Bridge (20th Century)

Site Name Glasgow, Glasgow Green, Former Bridge

Classification Road Bridge (20th Century)

Alternative Name(s) River Clyde; Ballater Street; King's Drive; King's Bridge; Hutchesontown

Canmore ID 277738

Site Number NS66SW 966

NGR NS 6000 6377

NGR Description NS c. 6000 6377

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/277738

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2021.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Administrative Areas

  • Council Glasgow, City Of
  • Parish Govan (City Of Glasgow)
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District City Of Glasgow
  • Former County Lanarkshire

Archaeology Notes

NS66SW 966 c. 6000 6377

For successor and present King's Bridge (NS 60006 63771), see NS66SW 901.

Extends onto map sheet NS56SE.

The first bridge here was a wooden bridge 15m (50ft) wide built in 1901 with timbers from the dismantled service bridge used during the reconstruction of Glasgow Bridge [NS56SE 458] in 1895-9.

E Williamson, A Riches and M Higgs 1990.

This bridge formerly carried King's Drive (a public road) across the River Clyde between Glasgow Green (to the E) and Hutchesontown (to the W). The river here forms the boundary between the parishes of Glasgow (to the E) and Govan (to the W).

The location assigned to this record is derived from that of the present bridge.

Information from RCAHMS (RJCM), 16 December 2005.

Activities

Construction (1901)

Project (2007)

This project was undertaken to input site information listed in 'Civil engineering heritage: Scotland - Lowlands and Borders' by R Paxton and J Shipway, 2007.

Publication Account (2007)

The first bridge on this site, of five spans, was erected by Wm. Kennedy of Partick in 1901 at a cost of £10 076, using mainly timber salvaged from the service bridge used in the reconstruction of Broomielaw Bridge.

R Paxton and J Shipway 2007

Reproduced from 'Civil Engineering heritage: Scotland - Lowlands and Borders' with kind permission of Thomas Telford Publishers.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions