Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Glasgow, Dalmarnock Sewage Treatment Works

Graffiti (21st Century), Sewage Works (20th Century)

Site Name Glasgow, Dalmarnock Sewage Treatment Works

Classification Graffiti (21st Century), Sewage Works (20th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Dalmarnock Sewage Works; River Clyde

Canmore ID 277713

Site Number NS66SW 965

NGR NS 611 625

NGR Description NS c. 611 625

Datum OSGB36 - NGR


Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images


Administrative Areas

  • Council Glasgow, City Of
  • Parish Glasgow (City Of Glasgow)
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District City Of Glasgow
  • Former County Lanarkshire

Archaeology Notes

NS66SW 965 c. 611 625

Sewage Works [NAT] (at NS 6105 6240)

OS 1:1250 map, 1968.

This extensive sewage works is situated within a pronounced bow on the N bank of the River Clyde, and about 2.5km SE of the centre of Glasgow.

Individual components of the works are noted on the following OS 1:1250 map sheets: NS6062NE (1974), NS6062SE (1966), NS6162NW (1968) and NS6162SW (1968).

Information from RCAHMS (RJCM), 14 December 2005.


Construction (1893 - 1894)

Project (2007)

This project was undertaken to input site information listed in 'Civil engineering heritage: Scotland - Lowlands and Borders' by R Paxton and J Shipway, 2007.

Publication Account (2007)

Dalmarnock Sewage Treatment Works was Scotland’s first large scale sewage treatment works which, from 1904 with the Dalmuir Works to the west, greatly improved public health in the city. Dalmarnock Works was constructed from 1893–94 to the design of Danish engineer, G. Alsing, an acknowledged authority on chemical precipitation. The treatment then, and still does, involve separating out the solid component of the sewage effluent in settlement tanks in the form of sludge. This was then de-watered in a filter press. Three years later a Cumnor drying plant was installed to produce sludge cake which was marketed as ‘Globe Fertilizer’ for agricultural use. By 1911 32 000 tons per annum were being sold, but it was never possible to utilise the

entire production and, from 1915, the surplus sludge was pumped into a purpose-built boat and taken daily down the Clyde and discharged in the Firth off Garroch Head, Isle of Bute.

Research into the use of more efficient biological filtration occurred from 1913 with the inauguration of two

hectares of filter beds. By the mid-1930s the works were reaching the end of their useful life and, in 1937, an experimental plant using the Simplex Activated Sludge Process was installed, but it was not until 1962–68 that a full activated sludge plant was constructed at a cost of about £4 m. The consulting engineers for this improvement were Babtie, Shaw & Morton.

R Paxton and J Shipway 2007

Reproduced from 'Civil Engineering heritage: Scotland - Lowlands and Borders' with kind permission of Thomas Telford Publishers.


MyCanmore Image Contributions

Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions