Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Tomdoun Hotel

Hotel (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Tomdoun Hotel

Classification Hotel (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Tomdown Inn

Canmore ID 277481

Site Number NH10SE 7

NGR NH 15720 01103

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/277481

Ordnance Survey licence number AC0000807262. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2024.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Collections

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Kilmonivaig
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Lochaber
  • Former County Inverness-shire

Recording Your Heritage Online

Tomdoun Hotel, William MacIntosh, 1895 Fishing hotel, replacing earlier drovers' inn, raised up above Loch Garry. Built in the same mould as Invergarry Hotel, it has good decorative iron brackets to its verandah. Close by, overlooking the Loch from among the larches, Tomdoun Chapel, 1865, a mission box provided by Ellice with gothic-windowed extension of 1883.

Taken from "Western Seaboard: An Illustrated Architectural Guide", by Mary Miers, 2008. Published by the Rutland Press http://www.rias.org.uk

Architecture Notes

NH10SE 7 15720 01103

The Hotel is depicted on the Ordnance Survey 6-inch map (Inverness-shire 1876, sheet xcvi). The Object Name Book (Ordnance Survey) describes the Hotel as 'a small substantial building with offices attached, situated at the junction of Glengarry, Glenquoich and Cluny roads'.

Information from RCAHMS (LFE), December 2005.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions