Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Tomdoun Chapel

Church (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Tomdoun Chapel

Classification Church (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Chapel Of Ease

Canmore ID 277480

Site Number NH10SE 6

NGR NH 15460 01100

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/277480

Ordnance Survey licence number AC0000807262. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2024.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Kilmonivaig
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Lochaber
  • Former County Inverness-shire

Recording Your Heritage Online

Tomdoun Hotel, William MacIntosh, 1895 Fishing hotel, replacing earlier drovers' inn, raised up above Loch Garry. Built in the same mould as Invergarry Hotel, it has good decorative iron brackets to its verandah. Close by, overlooking the Loch from among the larches, Tomdoun Chapel, 1865, a mission box provided by Ellice with gothic-windowed extension of 1883.

Taken from "Western Seaboard: An Illustrated Architectural Guide", by Mary Miers, 2008. Published by the Rutland Press http://www.rias.org.uk

Architecture Notes

NH10SE 6 15460 01100

The Church depicted as roofed on the Ordnance Survey 6-inch map (Inverness-shire 1876, sheet xcvi). The Object Name Book (Ordnance Survey) describes the Church as 'a small Church where service is held once a month. It is in connection with the establishment and is a Chapel of Ease'.

Information from RCAHMS (LFE), December 2005.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions