Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Allermuir Hill

Quarry(S) (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Allermuir Hill

Classification Quarry(S) (Period Unassigned)

Canmore ID 275409

Site Number NT26NW 441

NGR NT 225 664

NGR Description NT 225 664 (centred)

Datum OSGB36 - NGR


Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Administrative Areas

  • Council Edinburgh, City Of
  • Parish Edinburgh (Edinburgh, City Of)
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District City Of Edinburgh
  • Former County Midlothian

Archaeology Notes

NT26NE 441 NT 225 664 (centred)

A number of disused quarries are visible on Allermuir Hill. Five of them (CDTA05 15, 20-23), which are relatively small, lie adjacent to a stone wall on the steep, N flank of the hill, and three others (CDTA05 46, 48-9), two of them quite large, on the NW side of the hill close to the summit. Another large pit (CDTA05 51) is situated on the S flank of the hill, and, despite being annotated 'Gravel Pit' on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Edinburghshire 1855, sheet 6), is dug into solid rock. Three quarries lie at the foot of the W flank of the hill (CDTA05 145-7).

All of the quarries were probably opened to provide stone for nearby dykes, but the last three may also have supplied stone for the construction and maintenance of the track that passes close by to the W. Apart from the 'Gravel Pit', only the two larger quarries close to the summit of the hill are depicted on the 1st edition of the map. The 2nd edition of the map (1895, sheet VII.SW) shows only one of two quarries and annotates it 'Old Quarry', but the single quarry on the S flank of the hill and the three quarries at the foot of the W flank are also shown.

(CDTA05 15, 20-23, 46, 48-49, 51, 145-7)

Visited by RCAHMS (JRS) 23 June 2005.


MyCanmore Image Contributions

Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions