Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Bathgate, Livery Street, Church Of The Immaculate Conception

Church (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Bathgate, Livery Street, Church Of The Immaculate Conception

Classification Church (Period Unassigned)

Canmore ID 275216

Site Number NS96NE 134

NGR NS 97445 69009

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/275216

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Collections

Administrative Areas

  • Council West Lothian
  • Parish Bathgate
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District West Lothian
  • Former County West Lothian

Recording Your Heritage Online

Church of the Immaculate Conception, Livery Street, 1907-8, Charles Menart

Soaring confection on the site of the 1822 Seceders' Kirk, the west façade framed by twin pinnacles focused upon a twin entrance, heavily cusped and carved in ashlar. Large aisled church within, a rich Gothic sanctuary. Altar of Sienna marble. Baptism of Christ window in the baptistry, 1959, by William Wilson. Livery Street houses and cottages were largely redeveloped, from 1977, by Gordon Duncan Somerville. Three-storey harled and slated flats and houses with excellent landscaping, rather vernacular in such a town centre location. Compare Roberts & Paul's 1960s flats in Marjoribanks Street, and Wilson & Wilson's 1950s flats in Drumcross Road.

Taken from "West Lothian: An Illustrated Architectural Guide", by Stuart Eydmann, Richard Jaques and Charles McKean, 2008. Published by the Rutland Press http://www.rias.org.uk

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions