Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Balado Bridge Airfield

Aircraft Hangar(S) (20th Century)

Site Name Balado Bridge Airfield

Classification Aircraft Hangar(S) (20th Century)

Canmore ID 274679

Site Number NO00SE 26.02

NGR NO 09013 03646

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/274679

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Collections

Administrative Areas

  • Council Perth And Kinross
  • Parish Kinross
  • Former Region Tayside
  • Former District Perth And Kinross
  • Former County Kinross-shire

Archaeology Notes

NO00SE 26.02 09013 03646

Two conjoined aircraft hangars are visible on RAF WW II and postwar vertical air photographs (NLA 71, 3049-3053, 4051-4054, flown 9 September 1943 and CPE/Scot/UK/290, Pt.III, 5198-5204, flown 2 September 1947).

The larger of the two is a B1 type, designed by the engineers T Bedford as a aircraft repair shed, mainly for heavy bombers. This type first appeared in 1942 and were larger than the Bellman hangar which was also a temporary and transportable type. The smaller hangar was a Super Robin type.

More recent vertical air photography (All Scotland Survey, 51888109-110, flown 14, 18 June 1988), shows that the aircraft hangars survive within a group of sheds annotated as 'grain store on the current OS 1:2500 scale digital map.

Information from RCAHMS (DE), September 2005

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions