Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Aberdeen, St Peter's Hospital

Hospital (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Aberdeen, St Peter's Hospital

Classification Hospital (Period Unassigned)

Canmore ID 273688

Site Number NJ90NW 16.01

NGR NJ 9408 0766

NGR Description NJ 9408 0766

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/273688

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Collections

Administrative Areas

  • Council Aberdeen, City Of
  • Parish Aberdeen
  • Former Region Grampian
  • Former District City Of Aberdeen
  • Former County Aberdeenshire

Archaeology Notes

NJ90NW 16.01 94082 07659

For St Peter's Cemetery (centred 9420 0765), see NJ90NW 575.00.

(NJ 9408 0766) Site of St Peter's Hospital (NR)

(NJ 9409 0769) St Peter's Ch. (NR) (Remains of)

OS 25" map, (1926).

The site of the hospital for 'infirm brethren' dedicated to St Peter and founded between 1172 and 1179. In 1266 there is also a reference to 'the sisters living therein'. Although the hospital was apparently suppressed in 1427 the sick were still being maintained there in 1541.

W Kennedy 1818; J Milne 1911; D E Easson 1957.

St Peter's Chapel was associated with the hospital and after the suppression of the latter in 1427 the chapel continued until the Reformation as a place of worship and was made a parish church.

I B Cowan 1964.

Both sites lie in St Peter's Cemetery. Nothing remains of the hospital but the outline of the church is still visible a a turf-covered wall 0.5m in maximum height, although part of the north wall has been buried and a modern vault has been built over the eastern perimeter. The interior is covered with graves.

Visited by OS (JLD) 12 September 1952.

The site of St Peter's Church is situated on a knoll on the highest part of the modern cemetery. Measuring 21.65m from E to W by 6.6m transversely overall, the ground-plan of the church appears to have been preserved by an early-19th century mausoleum, at its E end, a low turf-capped wall on the W and S, and a mortared revetment wall on the N. The interior of the church is occupied by graves marked with 19th- and 20th-century headstones.

Visited by RCAHMS (JRS), 20 May 2002.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions