Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Edinburgh, George Iv Bridge

No Class (Event)

Site Name Edinburgh, George Iv Bridge

Classification No Class (Event)

Alternative Name(s) Lawnmarket/bank Street/high Street

Canmore ID 273424

Site Number NT27SE 5907

NGR NT 256 735

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/273424

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Administrative Areas

  • Council Edinburgh, City Of
  • Parish Edinburgh (Edinburgh, City Of)
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District City Of Edinburgh
  • Former County Midlothian

Archaeology Notes

NT27SE 5907 256 735

A watching brief was undertaken in May and June 2004 on service renewal involving the excavation of the road intersection at Lawnmarket/Bank Street/High Street/George IV Bridge. This revealed a series of clay-bonded sandstone foundation walls of probable medieval and post-medieval date fronting the High Street between Deacon Brodie's Tavern and the Sheriff Court House. The walls had a visible elevation of 0.1m and were approximately 0.45m in width. Previous groundworks had cut several of the walls. No small finds were recovered. The area to the immediate W of the Sheriff Court is shown as Mill's Court on the Edgar map of 1742.

Archive to be deposited in the NMRS.

Sponsor: City of Edinburgh Council.

R Engl 2004

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions