Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Perth, Horse Cross

No Class (Event)

Site Name Perth, Horse Cross

Classification No Class (Event)

Canmore ID 269281

Site Number NO12SW 1151

NGR NO 118 237

NGR Description NO c.118 237

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/269281

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Perth And Kinross
  • Parish Perth
  • Former Region Tayside
  • Former District Perth And Kinross
  • Former County Perthshire

Archaeology Notes

NO12SW 1151 c.118 237

NO 118 237 A watching brief was required to monitor the excavation of a 70m long service trench around the site of the proposed concert hall, in close proximity to the medieval heart of Perth. No significant archaeological features were identified.

Report to be lodged with Perth and Kinross SMR and the NMRS.

Sponsor: SSE Power Distribution.

Martin Cook 2003

NO 119 238 An archaeological excavation was undertaken between January and June 2003 on a site lying just beyond the NE corner of Perth's medieval burgh defences, in advance of the construction of a new concert hall. Although its exact location has never been established, there was a royal castle in this area until it was destroyed during a flood in 1209. After the destruction of the castle, the area was given to the Blackfriars monastery, and developed into an industrial suburb.

Excavation revealed a deep, broad ditch, aligned roughly N-S, with waterlogged fills. This probably represents part of the medieval castle defences. The ditch was crossed by a stone-built bridge or causeway, incorporating an arch. Large assemblages of artefacts and faunal remains were recovered from midden deposits within the ditch. A small group of human burials, cut into a floor surface adjacent to the backfilled ditch, were associated with the medieval chapel of St Laurence. Archaeomagnetic dating of a hearth sealed below this floor yielded a date of AD 1360-95 for its last firing.

Post-medieval activity on the site included a series of clay-lined tanning pits, along with foundations of stone buildings, stone-lined wells and a culvert. Foundations of 18th and 19th-century tenements and shops, demolished in the 1930s, were revealed below the former Horse Cross car park.

Archive to be deposited in the NMRS.

Sponsor: Perth and Kinross Council.

A Cox 2003

Activities

Excavation (January 2003 - June 2003)

NO 119 238 An archaeological excavation was undertaken between January and June 2003 on a site lying just beyond the NE corner of Perth's medieval burgh defences, in advance of the construction of a new concert hall. Although its exact location has never been established, there was a royal castle in this area until it was destroyed during a flood in 1209. After the destruction of the castle, the area was given to the Blackfriars monastery, and developed into an industrial suburb.

Excavation revealed a deep, broad ditch, aligned roughly N-S, with waterlogged fills. This probably represents part of the medieval castle defences. The ditch was crossed by a stone-built bridge or causeway, incorporating an arch. Large assemblages of artefacts and faunal remains were recovered from midden deposits within the ditch. A small group of human burials, cut into a floor surface adjacent to the backfilled ditch, were associated with the medieval chapel of St Laurence. Archaeomagnetic dating of a hearth sealed below this floor yielded a date of AD 1360-95 for its last firing.

Post-medieval activity on the site included a series of clay-lined tanning pits, along with foundations of stone buildings, stone-lined wells and a culvert. Foundations of 18th and 19th-century tenements and shops, demolished in the 1930s, were revealed below the former Horse Cross car park.

Archive to be deposited in the NMRS.

Sponsor: Perth and Kinross Council.

A Cox 2003

Watching Brief (2003)

NO 118 237 A watching brief was required to monitor the excavation of a 70m long service trench around the site of the proposed concert hall, in close proximity to the medieval heart of Perth. No significant archaeological features were identified.

Report to be lodged with Perth and Kinross SMR and the NMRS.

Sponsor: SSE Power Distribution.

Martin Cook 2003

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions