Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Bannockburn, Glasgow Road, Bannockburn Heritage Centre, The Rotunda

Commemorative Cairn (20th Century), Commemorative Monument (20th Century), Flagpole (19th Century)

Site Name Bannockburn, Glasgow Road, Bannockburn Heritage Centre, The Rotunda

Classification Commemorative Cairn (20th Century), Commemorative Monument (20th Century), Flagpole (19th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Bannockburn Battlefield; Whins Of Milton; Borestone Brae

Canmore ID 268077

Site Number NS79SE 15.03

NGR NS 79539 90638

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/268077

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Collections

Administrative Areas

  • Council Stirling
  • Parish St Ninians
  • Former Region Central
  • Former District Stirling
  • Former County Stirlingshire

Archaeology Notes

NS79SE 15.03 79539 90641

For statue of Robert the Bruce (within the Rotunda), see NS79SE 15.02.

Activities

Publication Account (1997)

Although protected since 1932 by the National Trust for Scotland, the site of the Battle of Bannockburn was only developed in a representational and monumental manner in the 1960s. In 1962, under NTS auspices, the site was landscaped and the circular, concrete Rotunda erected, to focus on visitors' attention on Stirling Castle as the English army's objective, and Pilkington Jackson was commissioned by the King Robert the Bruce Memorial Committee to make a massive bronze equestrian statue of the King (unveiled 1964). The information centre was opened in 1967 by William Ross, Secretary of State for Scotland. (Fig 4.3).

Information from 'Rebuilding Scotland, 1945-75', (1997).

Watching Brief (10 August 2011 - 11 October 2011)

NS 7964 9057 A programme of work consisting of a GPR survey, evaluation and watching brief was undertaken, 10 August–11 October 2011, in the car park of the existing Bannockburn Heritage Centre in advance of the construction of a new heritage centre. The trial trench evaluation consisted of the excavation of ten trenches, covering 360m2, equivalent to 15% of the development area. The trenches were placed in a diagonal pattern across the site and also targeted anomalies identified by the GPR survey. The watching brief monitored the excavation of one borehole and eight test pits. No significant archaeological features were recorded.

Archive: RCAHMS (intended)

Funder: The National Trust for Scotland

GUARD Archaeology Ltd, 2011

Information also reported in Oasis (guardarc1-115070) 27 August 2012

Excavation (5 December 2011 - 12 December 2011)

Excavation was carried out by GUARD Archaeology Ltd on the site of the Borestone and partly over the site of the 19th century custodian's hut.

Information from NTS (DA) 17/01/2012

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions