Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

In recognition of the essential restrictions and measures imposed by the Scottish and UK Governments, we have closed all sites, depots and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, with immediate effect. Read our latest statement on Coronavirus (COVID-19).

Skye, Ornsay Lighthouse, Keepers' Cottages

Lighthouse Keepers House(S) (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Skye, Ornsay Lighthouse, Keepers' Cottages

Classification Lighthouse Keepers House(S) (Period Unassigned)

Canmore ID 267918

Site Number NG71SW 8.01

NGR NG 71286 12191

Datum OSGB36 - NGR


Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Sleat
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Skye And Lochalsh
  • Former County Inverness-shire

Recording Your Heritage Online

Isle Ornsay Lighthouse D. & T. Stevenson, 1857 A balconied tower standing out like a white finger against the awesome backdrop of the Garbh Criochan, with double range of keepers' cottages hugging the ground above a stone-walled garden close by. Like their twins on Eilean Ban, these stand back to back and were formerly owned by Gavin Maxwell who, finding them '… primordial, without a stick of furniture, and no light or fuel ... eerie beyond belief', converted them a few years after the lighthouse was automated in 1962, into 'a single sumptuous 4-bedroomed residence …'(for a fuller description see p.21 0). Weather and wild seas soon got the better of this romantic dream and neglect took its toll; the holiday house they provide today is somewhat more basic.

Taken from "Western Seaboard: An Illustrated Architectural Guide", by Mary Miers, 2008. Published by the Rutland Press

Archaeology Notes


Aerial Photography (3 May 2007)


MyCanmore Image Contributions

Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions