Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Forteviot

Palace (Medieval), Palace (Early Medieval)(Possible)

Site Name Forteviot

Classification Palace (Medieval), Palace (Early Medieval)(Possible)

Canmore ID 26615

Site Number NO01NW 16

NGR NO 049 175

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/26615

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2021.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Collections

Administrative Areas

  • Council Perth And Kinross
  • Parish Forteviot
  • Former Region Tayside
  • Former District Perth And Kinross
  • Former County Perthshire

Archaeology Notes

NO01NW 16 049 175

See NO01NE 12 for reference to arched stone.

NO01NW 16.01 049 175 Sculptured Stone ('Forteviot no. 2').

(NO 049 175) Supposed site of Residence (NR) of several of the Pictish and Scottish Kings (NAT)

OS 6" map, Perthshire, 2nd ed., (1901)

There are several well-authenticated references to Forteviot in the Pictish Chronicle (Anderson 1922) and a specific mention of a 'palace' where Kenneth, son of Alpin died in 858. Stuart (1867) suggests that it continued as a royal residence quoting a charter of William the

Lion (1165 - 1214) dated at Forteviot.

The traditional site is recorded by a Mr Taylor, a local schoolmaster (OSA 1798) as the Halyhill, at the west end of Forteviot where a heap of rubbish remained c 1772. The site was undermined by the Water of May and nothing remained in 1832. It is assumed (OSA 1798; Skene 1851) to be the ruined castle of Malcom Kenmure at Forteviot mentioned by Adamson c 1638 (Cant 1774) and which Cant states still remained.

An arched stone (probably the top of a doorway) was found in the bed of the Water of May immediately below Halyhill. Stuart (1867) dates it as 'probably not later than the 11th century'. It is now in the National Museum of Antiquities.- NMAS 1B36

J Cant 1774; OSA 1798; W F Skene 1851; J Stuart 1867; J R Allen and J Anderson 1903; A O Anderson 1922; H M Chadwick 1949.

The published site occupies a piece of haugh-land at the edge of the river. There are no traces of earthworks or buildings.

Over the central arch of a row of estate cottages (not published on OS 25" map), at NO 0517 1754, there is a plaque with the following inscription:- 'This village was rebuilt by J Alexander first Baron of Forteviot in year 1925-26 and occupies part of the site of the Pictish capital FOTHUIR TABAICHT a royal residence from the VII to the XII centuries. Here died Kenneth MacAlpin in AD. 860'.

No information could be obtained at Dupplin Castle estate office (N0 054 195) regarding the authority for the wording on the plaque.

Visited by OS (W D J) 2 November 1965.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions