Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Dupplin Castle

Castle (15th Century), Country House (19th Century)

Site Name Dupplin Castle

Classification Castle (15th Century), Country House (19th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Dupplin Estate; Dupplin Castle Estate; Dupplin Castle Policies

Canmore ID 26553

Site Number NO01NE 22

NGR NO 05631 19460

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/26553

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Perth And Kinross
  • Parish Aberdalgie
  • Former Region Tayside
  • Former District Perth And Kinross
  • Former County Perthshire

Archaeology Notes

NO01NE 22.00 05631 19460

NO01NE 22.01 07046 19949 East Lodge

NO01NE 22.02 05390 19514 Stables

NO01NE 22.03 05339 19535 Estate Office and adjoining Cottages (Dairy)

NO01NE 22.04 05178 19631 Sawmill

NO01NE 22.05 05836 19075 South Lodge

NO01NE 22.06 06494 19611 Walled Garden

NO01NE 22.07 05357 18846 Old Quarry

NO02SW 98 03468 20633 Icehouse

For South Lodge at Burnside Lodges (NO 0395 1995), see NO01NW 26. For Dupplin Castle, Kennels (NO 0482 1992), see NO01NW 111. For Dupplin Castle Policies, Whittock's Lodge (NO 0462 1941), see NO01NW 112. For Dupplin Castle Policies, The Old Parsonage (NO 0470 1917), see NO01NW 113.

For Dupplin Cross (NO 0505 1897), see NO01NE 6. For 'weapons' found in 'Dupplin Parks' and 'brass plates' in 'Dupplin Estate', see NO01NE 14 and NO01NE 69 respectivelt.

For Dupplin Castle, North Lodge (NO 0623 2088), see NO02SE 128. For mill ponds at Backhill Park (NO 0582 2068 and 0601 2067), see NO02SE 134. For estate bridge at Backhill Park (NO 0633 2064), see NO02SE 135. For North Lodge at Burnside Lodges (NO 03944 20005), see NO02SW 17.

(NO 0565 1947) Dupplin Castle on site of Dupplin Castle (NR)

OS 6" map, (1959)

Dupplin Castle on site of [NAT] Castle [NR]

OS 1:10,000 map, 1987.

The earliest recorded owner of Dupplin Castle, Sir William Oliphant, lived at the close of the 13th century. In 1461, the castle was attacked and destroyed,but rebuilt shortly after. In 1688 it was again rebuilt; a tower and other parts of the earlier building being preserved.

In 1827 the whole building was destroyed by fire, and completely rebuilt.

A H Millar 1890.

Architecture Notes

NO01NE 22.00 05631 19460

NMRS REFERENCE:

Owner: Lord Forteviot

ARCHITECTS: William Burn 1828 (original house burnt 1827)

James Playfair c.1786 added wings to original house

House burnt in interior c. 1926, only main staircase of Burn house left.

Demolished in August-October 1967

NMRS PLANS

Dick Peddie & MacKay, Edinburgh survey plans

Attic 2, Bin 32, Bag 2 c.1950

NMRS PRINT ROOM

W Schomberg Scott Photograph Collection

4 views of the entrance front

3 interiors (1 of them a large photograph)

Acc No 1997/99

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions