Forteviot Churchyard, Crosses
- Council Perth And Kinross
- Parish Forteviot
- Former Region Tayside
- Former District Perth And Kinross
- Former County Perthshire
NO01NE 10.00 0514 1747
NO01NE 10.01 0514 1747 Cross-slab
NO01NE 10.02 0514 1747 Cross-slab
NO01NE 10.03 0514 1747 Cross
NO01NE 10.04 0514 1747 Sculptured Stone
(Area: NO 051 174) In the churchyard at Forteviot are the following:- A The Goodlyburn Stone Cross (NO02SE 3) A Cross 9'6" high showing our Lord in relief, and brought from Goodlyburn - q.v. NO01NE 10.3
B The lower part of an upright cross-slab of sandstone 2ft high, sculptured on all four faces (Allen and Anderson 1903). This is probably from Invermay (NO01NE 8).
J Stuart 1856; J R Allen and J Anderson 1903.
There is no trace of these crosses in the churchyard at Forteviot (NO 0514 1747) and no local information could be obtained concerning them. There are, however, the remains of at least two sculptured stones or crosses in the church porch but their history is not known although one may be that from Invermay. (NO01NE 8)
Visited by OS (J T T) 5 November 1965.
The fragment of cross-slab ('B') is now in the porch of the church at Forteviot.
Information contained in letter from J Close-Brooks, National Museum of Antiquities of Scotland (NMAS) to OS, 20 April 1978.