Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Logierait, River Tay, Viaduct

Railway Viaduct (19-20th Century), Road Bridge (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Logierait, River Tay, Viaduct

Classification Railway Viaduct (19-20th Century), Road Bridge (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Logierait Bridge

Canmore ID 26328

Site Number NN95SE 23

NGR NN 96863 51816

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/26328

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Perth And Kinross
  • Parish Logierait
  • Former Region Tayside
  • Former District Perth And Kinross
  • Former County Perthshire

Archaeology Notes

NN95SE 23 96863 51816

Not to be confused with railway viaduct over the River Tummel at Ballinluig (NN 9761 5208), for which see NN95SE 18.

This viaduct was designed by Joseph Mitchell to carry the [Aberfeldy branch of the] Inverness and Perth Junction Rly across the River Tay and opened on 9 September 1863 at a cost of ?13,772; it remains in use. It is of lattice girder type on cast iron piers and measures 420 ft (128m) in overall length and 49 ft (14.9m) in height; it comprises two spans of 137 ft (41.8m) and another two of 41 ft 6 ins (12.7m). The cylindrical piers measure 8 ft (2.4m) in diameter and are weighed down with masonry rubble filled with Portland cement, the additional side spans being added as a protection against damage from floodwater.

M Smith 1994.

This bridge spans the River Tay, which here forms the boundary between the parishes of Logierait and Little Dunkeld. It remains in use for private road traffic.

Information from RCAHMS (RJCM), 14 June 1996.

Activities

Construction (9 September 1863)

On Aberfeldy Branch of Highland Railway/Inverness and Perth Junction Railway

Project (2007)

This project was undertaken to input site information listed in 'Civil engineering heritage: Scotland - Lowlands and Borders' by R Paxton and J Shipway, 2007.

Publication Account (2007)

Viaduct of similar construction to Dalguise Bridge designed by Joseph Mitchell. It has two spans of 137 ft and side openings of 4112 ft, the latter now carrying a local access road.

Unlike Dalguise Viaduct (masonry catellated towers), Logierait was provided with sets of iron towers reminiscent of locomotive funnels.

This use of iron was probably an economy measure on the Aberfeldy Branch which operated, none too successfully in commercial terms, for a century, being closed in 1965. Logierait viaduct was built by

Macdonald & Grieve.

R Paxton and J Shipway

Reproduced from 'Civil Engineering heritage: Scotland - Lowlands and Borders' with kind permission of Thomas Telford Publishers.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions