Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Ballinluig Station

Railway Station (19-20th Century)

Site Name Ballinluig Station

Classification Railway Station (19-20th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Ballinluig Junction Station

Canmore ID 26321

Site Number NN95SE 17

NGR NN 9797 5204

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/26321

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Perth And Kinross
  • Parish Logierait
  • Former Region Tayside
  • Former District Perth And Kinross
  • Former County Perthshire

Archaeology Notes

NN95SE 17.00 9797 5204

NN95SE 17.01 NN 9798 5193 Station Cottages

This intermediate station on the Perth (Stanley Junction) - Inverness main line of the former Highland Rly was also the junction station for that company's Aberfeldy branch. It was opened by the Inverness and Perth Junction Rly on 1 June 1863 and closed to regular passenger traffic on 3 May 1965. The main line remains in use.

Information from RCAHMS (RJCM), 21 September 2000.

R V J Butt 1995.

Architecture Notes

NMRS REFERENCE

Ballinluig Station.

Station probably opened 01.06.1863 (Inverness and Perth Juncion Railway). Closed 03.05.1965.

Activities

Standing Building Recording (August 2007)

NN 9797 5204 As part of the Ballinluig Junction Improvement on the A9, the former platform remains associated with the disused Ballinluig railway station were subjected to a Level 1 standing building survey in August 2007. This was an intermediate station on the Perth to Inverness main line of the former Highland Railway and was also the junction station for that company’s Aberfeldy branch. It was opened by the Inverness

and Perth Junction Railway on 1 June 1863 and closed to regular passenger traffic on 3 May 1965. The remains of the northern platform comprised dressed sandstone with larger blocks used for the kerb. On the S side the platform was revetted with timbers (probably old railway sleepers) and held fast with timber braces.

The remains of a brick-built building were also recorded.

Archive to be deposited with RCAHMS. Reports deposited with SMR and RCAHMS.

Funder: Balfour Beatty Civil Engineering Ltd.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions