Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

The Thorn

Cup Marked Stone (Prehistoric)

Site Name The Thorn

Classification Cup Marked Stone (Prehistoric)

Alternative Name(s) Crofthead

Canmore ID 26191

Site Number NN92SW 3

NGR NN 9204 2397

Datum OSGB36 - NGR


Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2022.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Perth And Kinross
  • Parish Fowlis Wester
  • Former Region Tayside
  • Former District Perth And Kinross
  • Former County Perthshire

Archaeology Notes

NN92SW 3 9204 2397

(NN 9209 2397) Standing Stones (NR).

(Description applied to NN92SW 4 also).

OS 6" map (1901).

See also NN92SW 4 and NN92SW 57.

Two prostrate blocks of stone on a slight mound. The larger stone is a triangular mass of granite 16ft by 11ft 6ins and 10ft along its sides. The surface has three clear cup-marks. The other block is roughly four-sided and measures 12ft by 7ft. Two channels on the upper surface are probably natural.

F R Coles 1911.

As described and planned by Coles. The mound on which they stand has little or no significance.

Resurveyed at 1/2500.

Visited by OS (RD), 12 December 1966.

These two stones appear to have formed part of one enormous boulder (measuring about 3.8m high); the break has been heavily weathered since they became detached. The NE stone bears at least eight cup-marks on what is now its flat upper face.

Visited by RCAHMS (RJCM, JRS), 10 November 1995.


MyCanmore Image Contributions

Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions