Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Abercairny

Cauldron (Bronze)

Site Name Abercairny

Classification Cauldron (Bronze)

Alternative Name(s) Abercairney

Canmore ID 26172

Site Number NN92SW 11

NGR NN 91 22

NGR Description NN c. 91 22

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/26172

Ordnance Survey licence number AC0000807262. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2024.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Perth And Kinross
  • Parish Fowlis Wester
  • Former Region Tayside
  • Former District Perth And Kinross
  • Former County Perthshire

Archaeology Notes

NN92SW 11 c. 91 22

A globular cauldron from a bog at Abercairney is now in the Perth Museum. It is 27 1/2ins maximum diameter with patterning of oval hammer- or punch-marks. It is of 'Battersea' type as is the Blackburn Mill cauldron which has been shown by Hawkes (W F Grimes 1951) to be of La Tene III type and not earlier than the 1st century AD. (Could this cauldron have come from the Fendoch hoard? - see NN92NW 14).

S Piggott 1955

Nothing is known about this cauldron at Abercairny (NN 9118 2240) and local enquiries proved negative. It is on display in Perth Museum (Acc No: IE/1946).

Visited by OS (EGC) 19 December 1966.

Globular or 'Battersea' cauldron of beaten bronze found in a bog and now held in Perth Museum; it is in good condition although the rim and two handles (which were possibly originally of iron) are missing. The body is repaired in two places, one being an elaborate patch of 'paper clip' form, inserted from the inside and provided with an external washer of rectangular outline.

It measures about 61cm in diameter at the rim, and about 38.8 cm in depth. The body was hammered in a single piece and the metal is patterned with oval hammer- or punch-marks arranged in circles from centre base to just below the rim. The missing rim strengthening was originally attached by means of 14 rivets whose remaining holes are spaced at intervals of between 10.2 and 16.5 cm.

M Macgregor 1976.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions