Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Williamston House

Fortified House (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Williamston House

Classification Fortified House (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Williamston Farm; Williamstone; Williamstoun

Canmore ID 26163

Site Number NN92SE 3

NGR NN 97223 22056

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/26163

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Perth And Kinross
  • Parish Madderty
  • Former Region Tayside
  • Former District Perth And Kinross
  • Former County Perthshire

Archaeology Notes

NN92SE 3 97223 22056

Williamstoun (Williamstone on OS 6" - NN 9721 2205) is a 'most interesting and unusual little 17th century mansion, now a farmhouse'. It has a circular tower projecting from an oblong main block on the north front, corbelled out to the square to form a watch-chamber above. There are no other defensive features about the house which is unusually low for the period. It was built about 1657.

N Tranter 1963.

Generally as described above. Correct spelling is Williamston according to the owner and name on board at entrance to farm.

Visited by OS (RD), 17 November 1966.

Architecture Notes

NN92SE 3 97223 22056

NMRS MISCELLANEOUS;

Dr. Thomas Ross - Manuscript notes.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions