Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Kincardine Castle

Castle (Medieval)

Site Name Kincardine Castle

Classification Castle (Medieval)

Canmore ID 26103

Site Number NN91SW 6

NGR NN 94624 10988

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/26103

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Perth And Kinross
  • Parish Blackford
  • Former Region Tayside
  • Former District Perth And Kinross
  • Former County Perthshire

Archaeology Notes

NN91SW 6 94624 10988

(Name NN 9465 1097) Kincardine Castle (NR) (Remains of)

OS 6" map, (1959)

Kincardine Castle was the principal seat of the Grahams of Montrose, who acquired the estate c. 1250-1260. It was a quadrangular structure with walls 15ft thick, defended on three sides by a dry ditch with a fortified main gate and a draw-bridge over the ditch. It was destroyed in 1646 and only a fragment of a wall remained in 1899.

R S Fittis 1881; A G Reid 1899.

The sole remains of Kincardine Castle comprise a gable wall at NN 9466 1099, measuring 8.3m long, c. 7.0m high and c 0.6m thick. See GP.

Visited by OS (R D) 28 July 1967.

Architecture Notes

NN91SW 6 94624 10988

NMRS REFERENCE:

"See TARBERT CASTLE, Argyll for comparative plan." written in NMRS catalogue book.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions