Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Edinburgh, 33, 35 Gilmore Place

Drill Hall (20th Century), Drill Hall (First World War), Terraced House (19th Century)

Site Name Edinburgh, 33, 35 Gilmore Place

Classification Drill Hall (20th Century), Drill Hall (First World War), Terraced House (19th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Territorial Army Centre

Canmore ID 259343

Site Number NT27SW 4553

NGR NT 24799 72704

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/259343

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Administrative Areas

  • Council Edinburgh, City Of
  • Parish Edinburgh (Edinburgh, City Of)
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District City Of Edinburgh
  • Former County Midlothian

World War One Audit of Surviving Remains (23 October 2013)

The addition of a large drill to hall to the rear of this terrace of 19th-century houses is recorded on the OS map surveyed in 1913 (it had not been recorded on the previous map, surveyed 1907). In 1914 it was the HQ of the 6th battallion, the Royal Scots, and the base of "A" to "H" Companies of the battalion. It remained in use by the Territorial Army until late in the 20th century but the hall has been demolished and the terrace of houses returned to domestic use.

Information from HS/RCAHMS World War One Audit Project (GJB) 23 October 2013.

Activities

Project (March 2013 - September 2013)

A project to characterise the quantity and quality of the Scottish resource of known surviving remains of the First World War. Carried out in partnership between Historic Scotland and RCAHMS.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions