Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Allt Lochan Nan Losgunn

Corn Drying Kiln (Period Unassigned), Farmstead (Period Unassigned), Head Dyke (Post Medieval)

Site Name Allt Lochan Nan Losgunn

Classification Corn Drying Kiln (Period Unassigned), Farmstead (Period Unassigned), Head Dyke (Post Medieval)

Alternative Name(s) Allean Forest

Canmore ID 25828

Site Number NN86SE 15

NGR NN 8535 6021

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/25828

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Administrative Areas

  • Council Perth And Kinross
  • Parish Blair Atholl
  • Former Region Tayside
  • Former District Perth And Kinross
  • Former County Perthshire

Archaeology Notes

NN86SE 15 8535 6021

NN 859 603. Deserted Settlement consisting of 2 houses and a corn drying kiln excavated in May 1972, and unexcavated site of 2 long houses, 2 open-ended byres and an enclosed garden.

The first house examined had two cruck openings in the W wall. There were no reciprocal openings in the E wall which had been inserted into a cutting in the sloping ground. The doorway was at the S end of the W wall.

The second house was partly paved at one end with 2 doorways opposite each other in the long walls.

The corn kiln was built into an E-facing slope. Extensions had been built on either side of the flue opening.

M E C Stewart 1972

A deserted farmstead shown unroofed at NN 8593 6021 on OS 6" map, Perthshire, 2nd ed., (1900). The first house described (about 13.0m long) has recently been excavated and the reconstructed with a cruck roof with the help of Forestry Commission.

The "open-ended byres" are the two ends of a rectangular house c. 16.0m long, which has been bisected by a forestry road. None of the buildings can be strictly called long-houses.

The settlement has been conserved as a tourist attraction incorporated in the Forestry Commission's Field Walk.

Visited by OS (A A) 11 November 1974

M E C Stewart 1974.

This farmstead comprises three houses, a byre and a corn-drying kiln with surrounding walls, a length of garden boundary-wall and the slight remains of a gardeners house or shed. The most southerly building has been re-roofed.

Information from Mr A K Fulton (Forestry Commission), 23 July 1992

Seven unroofed buildings, one of which has a rounded end, two enclosures and a head-dyke are depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Perthshire 1867, sheet xxx). Three unroofed buildings, what may be the remains of another unroofed building, a disused kiln, one enclosure and part of the head-dyke are shown on the current edition of the OS 1:10000 map (1993).

Information from RCAHMS (SAH) 10 October 1997.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions