Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Kilmaveonaig, Church

Chapel (Period Unassigned), Church (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Kilmaveonaig, Church

Classification Chapel (Period Unassigned), Church (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) St Eonaig's Chapel; Kilmaveonaig Episcopal Church; Cill Mo-bheonaig; St Adamnan's Episcopal Church; Kilmevenoc; Kylemevenet; Kilmawewinok

Canmore ID 25771

Site Number NN86NE 11

NGR NN 87951 65743

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/25771

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Perth And Kinross
  • Parish Blair Atholl
  • Former Region Tayside
  • Former District Perth And Kinross
  • Former County Perthshire

Archaeology Notes

NN86NE 11.00 87951 65743

NN86NE 11.01 NN 879 657 Grave-Slab; Cup-markings

(NN 8794 6575) Kilmaveonaig Chapel on site of St Eonaig's Chapel (NR).

OS 6" map, Perthshire, 2nd ed., (1900)

St Adamnan's Episcopal Church, Kilmaveonaig, was built in 1794. It replaced a Kirk of 1591 which itself had replaced an earlier structure.

G Hay 1957.

Cill Mo-Bheonaig, Kilmaveonaig, is Kilmevenoc, Kylemevenet, 1275, Kilmawewinok, 1595; the saint is probably Beoghna, second abbot of Bangor, who died in 606. The dedication to Adamnan is incorrect.

W J Watson 1926.

'Kilmaveonaig is one of the few old parish churches still in possession of the Scottish Episcopal Church. Here St Adamnan preached in the 7th century. Before 1275 it was a parish church and in 1591 it was rebuilt by Roberton of Lude. For some years after 1688, the four parish churches of Blair Atholl, Stroan, Lude and Kilmaeveonaig continued to be used, the Episcopal service being held in the latter two, then about 1700 the four parishes were combined into Blair Atholl and Stroan, and Kilmaveonaig came into the possession of the Espiscopalian Laird of Lude.

It was rebuilt in 1794, restored between 1866-71 and again with an enlargement in 1899. Its old bell is dated 1629 and came from Little Dunkeld' (information from transcript on notice board inside the church).

It is known as Kilmaveonaig. Scottish Episcopal Church.

Visited by OS (R D) 12 September 1967.

Architecture Notes

NMRS REFERENCE

Architect: John Stewart 1794

Sir Robert Lorimer - reredos & sanctuary

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions