Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Weem Castle

Castle (Medieval)

Site Name Weem Castle

Classification Castle (Medieval)

Alternative Name(s) Place Of Weem; Castle Menzies Park; Castle Menzies Policies

Canmore ID 25671

Site Number NN84NW 8

NGR NN 83 49

NGR Description NN c. 83 49

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/25671

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Collections

Administrative Areas

  • Council Perth And Kinross
  • Parish Weem
  • Former Region Tayside
  • Former District Perth And Kinross
  • Former County Perthshire

Archaeology Notes

NN84NW 8 c. 83 49

For (successor) Castle Menzies (NN 8369 4961), see NN84NW 7.

'Weem Castle' or the 'Place of Weem' was built by Sir Robert Menzies (Millar 1890) after the destruction by fire of Comrie Castle (NN74NE 29) in 1487. It was soon destroyed by the Stewarts, c. 1502, (Campbell 1888) and replaced in the latter half of the 16th century by Castle Menzies (NN84NW 7). The Place of Weem is described by Campbell as 'a strong tower with outhouses', but no trace of it now remains.

There are various opinions as to its exact site: Campbell says, 'according to tradition, near the Weem village gate of Castle Menzies Park.' Millar states that its position may be inferred from the course taken by a double avenue of sycamore trees, indicating that its situation was a little NW of Castle Menzies.

D Campbell 1888; A H Millar 1890.

No further information.

Visited by OS (A A) 16 December 1974.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions