Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Castle Menzies

Country House (Period Unassigned), Tower House (16th Century)

Site Name Castle Menzies

Classification Country House (Period Unassigned), Tower House (16th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Castle Weem

Canmore ID 25670

Site Number NN84NW 7

NGR NN 83701 49613

Datum OSGB36 - NGR


Ordnance Survey licence number AC0000807262. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2024.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

First 100 images shown. See the Collections panel (below) for a link to all digital images.

Administrative Areas

  • Council Perth And Kinross
  • Parish Weem
  • Former Region Tayside
  • Former District Perth And Kinross
  • Former County Perthshire

Archaeology Notes

NN84NW 7.00 83701 49613

NN84NW 7.01 NN 83802 49731 Walled Garden

For (predecessor) 'Weem Castle' or the 'Place of Weem' (NN c. 83 49), see NN84NW 8.

For garden (NN 8376 4961), Home Farm (NN 83158 49372) and West Lodge (NN 8290 4935), see NN84NW 63, NN84NW 99, NN84NW 100 respectively.

(NN 8369 4961) Castle Menzies (NR) (AD 1571)

OS 6" map, Perthshire, 2nd ed., (1901)

Castle Menzies was the seat of the chiefs of the Clan Menzies for a long period. Built on the Z-plan in the second half of the 16th century, it had large extensions to N and W added in 1840 and later, in the same style of architecture.

Now unoccupied, the Clan Menzies Society intend to preserve at least the original part of the house as a clan centre.

Castle Menzies replaced 'The Place of Weem' (NN84NW 8).

D MacGibbon and T Ross 1887-92; N Tranter 1963.

The original Z-plan castle is currently being renovated. A heraldic panel above the door of the castle is dated 1571. The 19th century additions to the N have been demolished.

Visited by OS (J M) 11 December 1974.

No change to previous field report.

Surveyed at 1:2500.

Visited by OS (J R L) 1 December 1978.

Architecture Notes

ARCHITECT: William Burn 1836 Alterations and additions (New Wing)


Scottish Record Office:

Neill Campbell, lime quarrier at Blair:

1738, burning at lime kiln

McLearin (or McClaren), James, mason in Rower,

1738-1739, work in quarry,

slaping drawing room, winning flags, building park at Bromhall, building gate and dyke, rigging stone for house of Colwell Total (pounds) 121.9.8 Sc

McGlasshan, James, smith in Larchlosk

1739, April, work at lime quarry (lime burning and blasting stones at garden of Weem)

(pounds) 57.12

Toshach, Angus, mason,

1736-1737, work at quarry (pounds) 62.6.10

1739, work at Biggin parks and kiln (pounds) 38.15.4

all GD 50/134/5 (Menzies of Weem)

1746 ff Endless petitions, inventories and memorials, incl. to D. of Cumberland via Sir Edw. Fawkener, from Sir Rob. Menzies claiming (pounds) 200 damage done to Castle Menzies by garrisin, with letter to him from Fawkener (3 May 1750) disclaiming Cumberland's responsibility being a Govt matter; and copy Sir Robert to Duke of Argyll (1754) enclosing his memorial to Fawkener to present to Cumberland, being urgent as he cannot use house till repaired, and begging him to "Countenance my Claim which I have rather keept on the moderate side than otherways": sent to MrMackenzie to present to Henry Pelham, and to Baron Maule to present to Argyll.

McGregor Colln GD50/128

1747 Word done by: Daniel Ross, upholsterer, Alexr Dallas, silk dyer, Adam Anderson, pewterer, Andrew Wilson, smith, James McLearin, mason (for kitchen and cellar repairs) (all of Edinburgh) with dimensions and names of room at Castle Menzies, and notes of court actions on same 1746-1749 and attestations of some damage made by David Hendrie (or Henry) wright at Taymouth, and Donald Menzies, wright at Castle Menzies or Weem (1746).

Other work by Duncan McLaren, coppersmith, Edinburgh - 1747.

See also under JOHN DOUGLAS.

McGregor Colln GD50/128

Masonwork at Castle Menzies. Account for mason's time due to Alexander Gowan.

1738 GD/369/135



Dunn & Findlay Collection alterations to drainage system 1903


Photographic Survey (1954)

Photographic survey by the National Buildings Record Scottish Council in 1954.

Photographic Survey (October 1963)

Photographic survey by the Scottish National Buildings Record/Ministry of Work in October 1963.


MyCanmore Image Contributions

Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions