Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Carse Farm

Stone Circle (Neol/bronze Age)

Site Name Carse Farm

Classification Stone Circle (Neol/bronze Age)

Canmore ID 25629

Site Number NN84NW 2

NGR NN 8028 4846

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/25629

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Administrative Areas

  • Council Perth And Kinross
  • Parish Dull
  • Former Region Tayside
  • Former District Perth And Kinross
  • Former County Perthshire

Archaeology Notes

NN84NW 2 8028 4846.

(NN 8028 4846) Standing Stones (NR)

OS 6" map, Perthshire, 2nd ed., (1902)

A single stone remains standing. This is one of a large circle of such stones of which two fallen stones still remain on the S arc; both of these are cup marked. The site was laid out in 1964 in a grid of 12' squares and three of these squares were opened on a line running E-W from the upright stone. A socket of a missing stone was found on the W arc and the upright slab on edge near the supposed centre of the circle noted by Cash (1911) was found to be only 4' square (compared with Cash's 8' long by 4'3"). This stone had been set upright, protruding 1'4" above ground level. A small quantity of cremated bone was recovered and a circular river pebble, possibly the top stone of a bow- drill. The circle has been much disturbed by agriculture.

C G Cash 1911; M E C Stewart 1964.

Listed as a "four-poster" by Burl.

H A W Burl 1971.

There is insufficient ground evidence to classify this as a "four-poster". The single upright stone (A) survives in a ploughed field and is 1.8m high x 1.0m x 0.7m. The two recumbent stones (B and C) are slabs, half-buried in the soil 9.0m and 18.0m SW of the upright stone, and as planned by Cash. They are respectively 2.5m x 1.2m, with four cup marks near the centre on the upper horizontal surface, and 3.4m x 1.8m with two cup marks near the NW tip. No other stones survive.

Surveyed at 1:10,000.

Visited by OS (J B) 3 December 1974.

Mrs Stewart (information to OS) states that this is definitely a large stone circle and not a 'four poster'. She hopes to continue the excavation in due course.

Visited by OS (A A) 4 March 1975.

No change to previous field report.

Surveyed at 1:2500.

Visited by OS (J R L) 30 November 1978.

Activities

Watching Brief (9 March 2011 - 17 September 2011)

NN 8025 4850 An evaluation and watching brief was undertaken 9 March–17 September 2011 during groundworks, including topsoil stripping, on the area of a proposed borrow pit, associated with the construction of the Beauly to Denny 400kV overhead line. The area was considered sensitive due to its proximity to the two standing stone sites at Carse Farm (SAM 1511 and SAM 1539). However, no significant archaeological features or artefacts were recorded and it seems likely that, should any such deposits have existed, that they have been destroyed by the intensive ploughing of this field over centuries of agricultural activity.

Archive: RCAHMS (intended)

Funder: Scottish and Southern Energy

Northlight Heritage, 2011

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions