Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Dornoch, Castle Street, Drill Hall

Drill Hall (First World War), Drill Hall (20th Century)

Site Name Dornoch, Castle Street, Drill Hall

Classification Drill Hall (First World War), Drill Hall (20th Century)

Canmore ID 255937

Site Number NH78NE 81

NGR NH 79772 89602

Datum OSGB36 - NGR


Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Dornoch
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Sutherland
  • Former County Sutherland

World War One Audit of Surviving Remains (17 July 2013)

The Dornoch drill hall was built in 1842-50 as a jail and, on closure, sold and converted to use as a drill hall, in 1896-97. It is in Scottish baronial style. The entrance to the drill hall was added to the west gable - two storeys and two bays with a round-headed recessed entrance masking doorways to both jail and drill hall, and a three-light transomed and mullioned window; a similar window is centred on the first floor, set in a crowstepped gable. There is a turret at the corner. Both jail and drill hall have crowsteps and slate roofs throughout. The drill hall occupies much of the yard behind the jail and is still a TA centre with an indoor firing range. The jail and part of the Drill hall is now a shop.

In 1914 the hall was base for "F" Company, 2nd Lovat's Scouts, and the base for "B" Company, 5th battalion, Seaforth Highlanders.

Information from HS/RCAHMS World War One Audit Project (GJB) 17 July 2013.


Project (March 2013 - September 2013)

A project to characterise the quantity and quality of the Scottish resource of known surviving remains of the First World War. Carried out in partnership between Historic Scotland and RCAHMS.


MyCanmore Image Contributions

Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions