Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Our online mapping services, aerial photography and satellite imaging layers are undergoing scheduled maintenance on Sundays in June. Service might be intermittent or unavailable on 6, 20 and 27 June. Thank you for your patience.

 

St Serf's Water

Cist (Period Unassigned), Long Barrow (Neolithic), Cinerary Urn, Polished Axehead(S) (Stone)

Site Name St Serf's Water

Classification Cist (Period Unassigned), Long Barrow (Neolithic), Cinerary Urn, Polished Axehead(S) (Stone)

Alternative Name(s) Monivaird Church

Canmore ID 25503

Site Number NN82SW 10

NGR NN 8488 2344

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/25503

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2021.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Collections

Administrative Areas

  • Council Perth And Kinross
  • Parish Monzievaird And Strowan
  • Former Region Tayside
  • Former District Perth And Kinross
  • Former County Perthshire

Archaeology Notes

NN82SW 10 8488 2344.

(NN 8490 2345) Stone Coffin containing Stone Hatchet, Urns and Bones found (NAT)

About 200yds west of the church of Monivaird a barrow was opened some years ago in which two urns were found, each containing a stone of a bluish colour about 4 ins. long and of a triangular shape resembling an axe-head.

OSA 1793

Barrow about 100 yds west of the old church opened in the 18th century (probably same site as above). It contained a stone coffin in which were two urns containing burnt bones and a stone hatchet of triangular shape now preserved at Ochtertyre.

NSA 1845

No traces of barrow.

Name Book 1860

At NN 8488 2344 is a much-spread, grass covered mound, 1.5m high, and c.38.0m E-W by 15.0m transversely, while at NN 8484 2344 is a much-spread circular, grassy mound 1.7m high, and c.16.0m diameter. Sixty metres SSW of the latter is a similar mound; but they would all appear to be natural. The authorities almost certainly refer to the one site, and the siting symbol published on the OS 25", at which there is nothing to be seen, has probably been intended to fall on the long mound. Symbol now positioned at NN 8481 2344.

The 'bluish coloured' stone implements (polished axes) are in the possession of Sir William Murray of Ochtertyre. The whereabouts of the remaining finds is unknown.

Visited by OS (RD) 30 December 1966

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions