Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

We have updated our mapping software and are trying out some new background mapping layers. Please let us know what you think by clicking here.

Edinburgh, Leith, 28 Shore, The Old Ship Hotel

Hotel (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Edinburgh, Leith, 28 Shore, The Old Ship Hotel

Classification Hotel (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Old Ship Hotel And King's Landing

Canmore ID 253920

Site Number NT27NE 1434

NGR NT 27128 76572

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/253920

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Edinburgh, City Of
  • Parish Edinburgh (Edinburgh, City Of)
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District City Of Edinburgh
  • Former County Midlothian

Activities

Project (1997)

The Public Monuments and Sculpture Association (http://www.pmsa.org.uk/) set up a National Recording Project in 1997 with the aim of making a survey of public monuments and sculpture in Britain ranging from medieval monuments to the most contemporary works. Information from the Edinburgh project was added to the RCAHMS database in October 2010 and again in 2012.

The PMSA (Public Monuments and Sculpture Association) Edinburgh Sculpture Project has been supported by Eastern Photocolour, Edinburgh College of Art, the Edinburgh World Heritage Trust, Historic Scotland, the Hope Scott Trust, The Old Edinburgh Club, the Pilgrim Trust, the RCAHMS, and the Scottish Archive Network.

Field Visit (28 May 2001)

Model of a sailing vessel, three masted, flying the Scottish flag astern and red and blue pennants at the mast head, supported by a curlicued bracket with a lantern.

The ship is based on the original sign for the Ship Inn seen in an old photograph, and is hung on the original bracket.

The original ship sign disappeared about 1960. When the building was being restored in 1984, Stephen Dickson of the Planning Department provided an old photograph to have a replacement made for the empty bracket.

Inscriptions : On the front of the ship (white letters): THE JOHN BOY

Signatures : None

Year of unveiling : 1984

Information from Public Monuments and Sculpture Association (PMSA Work Ref : EDIN0408)

Field Visit (6 February 2002)

Very deep relief of a sailing ship (galleon?) with billowing sails, set in a square architectural frame.

Inspected By : D. King

Inscriptions : Above the sails (incised letters): [ ]

On left (incised numbers): 16

On right (incised numbers): 76

Signatures : None Visible

Design period : 1676

Information from Public Monuments and Sculpture Association (PMSA Work Ref : EDIN1054)

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions