Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Lyon Bridge

Cairn (Period Unassigned), Cup Marked Stone (Prehistoric)

Site Name Lyon Bridge

Classification Cairn (Period Unassigned), Cup Marked Stone (Prehistoric)

Alternative Name(s) Uaigh An T-seanalair

Canmore ID 25002

Site Number NN74NW 8

NGR NN 7317 4657

Datum OSGB36 - NGR


Ordnance Survey licence number AC0000807262. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2023.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Perth And Kinross
  • Parish Fortingall
  • Former Region Tayside
  • Former District Perth And Kinross
  • Former County Perthshire

Archaeology Notes

NN74NW 8 7317 4657

See also NN74NW 6.

(NN 7322 4654) (information from M E C Stewart, 2 February 1956). A cairn of small stones overlaid with earth, 18' across the flat summit, 30' in diameter at base and 2 1/2' high, surrounded by a ditch 9' to 13'9" wide and 2'4" deep with an outer bank about 3' broad. Excavation by Stewart in 1884 revealed fragments of human bone below two small flagstones, south of the centre and near the base of the cairn.

Stewart classifies this site as a disc-barrow but neither the plan nor the description suggest this. It is more like a bowl barrow with a ditch and outer bank.

A cup marked stone 8' long by 3'2" wide lies in the ditch. It bears 9 cups on the west side and one on the north end. This stone is said to have stood upright on the top of the mound, but in 1838 it lay a short distance from NN74NW 6, having been undermined about the end of the 18th century.

Watson gives the local name of the site as "Uaigh an t-Seanalair" - the General's Grave - and the tradition that it is the grave of either Pontius Pilate or his father.

C Stewart 1884; F R Coles 1910; W J Watson 1930; NSA 1845

NN 7317 4657. A turf-covered mound bounded by a ditch and outer bank, as described and illustrated by Coles. The name 'Uaigh an t-Seanalair' and the tradition concerning Pontius Pilate is not known locally. The cup marked stone, not in situ, is as described and illustrated by Coles. Its original position is uncertain.

Surveyed at 1:10,000.

Visited by OS (NKB) 2 October 1975

No change to previous field report.

Surveyed at 1:2500.

Visited by OS (MJF) 30 November 1978.


MyCanmore Image Contributions

Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions