Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Carn Na Marbh

Barrow (Prehistoric)(Possible)

Site Name Carn Na Marbh

Classification Barrow (Prehistoric)(Possible)

Alternative Name(s) Fortingall

Canmore ID 24996

Site Number NN74NW 4

NGR NN 7406 4693

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/24996

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Perth And Kinross
  • Parish Fortingall
  • Former Region Tayside
  • Former District Perth And Kinross
  • Former County Perthshire

Archaeology Notes

NN74NW 4 7406 4693

See also NN74NW 39.

Below Kirkton village (Fortingall) is Carn na Marbh, the cairn of the dead. Plague victims were buried here by an old woman.

A Stewart 1928

(NN 7386 4698) 'Here is a small tumulus with a stone on top. The stone bears a tablet with an inscription re-burial of plague victims in the 14th century'.

Information from M E C Stewart, 2 February 1956.

NN 7406 4693. Carn na Marbh (name verified) is a turf-covered mound of stones, c.12.0m N-S by c.8.5m and 1.1m high, situated on the edge of a river terrace in cultivated ground. It is surmounted by a vertical slab set in concrete, to which is attached the plaque stating the tradition of a plague burial. The mound appears to have been truncated on the E and W by ploughing, and enlarged by the addition of stone clearance, and it cannot be classified with certainty as a barrow or cairn.

Surveyed at 1:10,000.

Visited by OS (NKB) 2 October 1975

No change to previous field report.

Surveyed at 1:2500.

Visited by OS (MJF) 1 December 1978.

Activities

Magnetometry (27 September 2010 - 29 September 2010)

NN 74186 46970 A geophysical survey was undertaken 27–29 September 2010 in the vicinity of Fortingall village, as part of a project investigating the remains of early medieval monasteries in Perth and Kinross. A fluxgate-gradiometer survey was completed over the northern half of three fields

adjacent the village to the S and in a further field, known as the ‘glebe field’, immediately to the E side of the parish church. The survey was targeted to investigate the extent and interior of a possible early medieval monastic vallum, first identified through aerial photography in the 1980s. The results confirmed the extent of the main vallum ditch and discovered several internal enclosures interpreted as forming divisions of space within the monastery precinct. The interiors of several of these enclosures were associated with multiple prominent magnetic spikes, which may indicate early medieval industrial or occupation remains. To the W the Carn Na Marbh [NN74NW 4] was shown to be a possible enclosure by an extension of the vallum with an exterior entrance point. In the glebe field a clear break in the vallum ditch was interpreted as an eastern entrance point.

Archive: RCAHMS

Funder: Society of Antiquaries of Scotland

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions