Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

St Fillan's Chapel And Burial-ground

Burial Ground (Period Unassigned), Chapel (Period Unassigned), Cross Incised Stone (Early Medieval)

Site Name St Fillan's Chapel And Burial-ground

Classification Burial Ground (Period Unassigned), Chapel (Period Unassigned), Cross Incised Stone (Early Medieval)

Alternative Name(s) St Fillian's; Dundurn Burial-ground; Stewarts Of Ardvoirlich Burial-place

Canmore ID 24872

Site Number NN72SW 2

NGR NN 70383 23579

NGR Description Centred NN 70383 23579

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/24872

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Perth And Kinross
  • Parish Comrie (Perth And Kinross)
  • Former Region Tayside
  • Former District Perth And Kinross
  • Former County Perthshire

EARLY MEDIEVAL CARVED STONES PROJECT (11 May 2016)

Dundurn 1, St Fillan’s Chapel (St Fillan), Perthshire, cross-slab

Measurements: H

Stone type: sandstone

Place of discovery: NN 7038 2357

Present location: in the burial ground at St Fillan’s Chapel.

Evidence for discovery: photographed lying flat in 2014. The curvilinear outline of the enclosure preserves the early medieval form of the burial ground.

Present condition: worn.

Description

This slab bears an incised outline cross with an open-ended shaft.

Date: seventh to ninth century.

References:

Compiled by A Ritchie 2016

EARLY MEDIEVAL CARVED STONES PROJECT (11 May 2016)

Dundurn 2, St Fillan’s Chapel (St Fillan), Perthshire, stone basin

Measurements: H

Stone type: sandstone

Place of discovery: NN 7038 2357

Present location: in Dundurn Parish Church.

Evidence for discovery: recorded in St Fillan’s burial ground in the 1850s. The curvilinear outline of the enclosure preserves the early medieval form of the burial ground.

Present condition: worn.

Description

A rounded boulder has been hollowed out on its upper surface to form a basin.

Date: early medieval.

References:

Compiled by A Ritchie 2016

Archaeology Notes

NN72SW 2 centred 70383 23579

(NN 7040 2358) St Fillan's Church (In Ruins) (NR)

OS 6" map (1901)

The present chapel at Dundurn, west of St Fillan's Hill, is 16th century. It is on the site of an earlier chapel said to have been erected by St Fillan (7th century) and of which nothing remains except a round stone basin. Now the burying-place of the Stewarts of Ardvoirlich.

S Korner 1858; C Rogers 1854

There is no record of the date of the present chapel of St Fillan's although it is known that it is pre-Reformation (it was abandoned at the Reformation) and it is on the site of the old chapel and was dedicated to St Fillan, the leper, who died c.520 AD. Since 1586 the present chapel, which is roofless has been the burial place of the Stewarts of Ardvorlich. It measures 8.7m x 3.7m internally. A holy water font, of the pre-Reformation period, which stood in a niche in the wall of the chapel is still in use in Dundurn Parish Church.

St Fillan's Chapel is the correct name (plaque on E wall).

Visited by OS (RD) 1 December 1966

NN 7038 2357. The roofless chapel is well-preserved.

Surveyed at 1:2500.

Visited by OS (MJF) 29 August 1980.

Activities

Photographic Survey (1986)

Recording of gravestones in St Fillan's Chapel and burial ground by Mrs Betty Willsher in 1986.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions