Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Druim Na Cille

Cairn (Period Unassigned), Cup Marked Stone (Prehistoric)

Site Name Druim Na Cille

Classification Cairn (Period Unassigned), Cup Marked Stone (Prehistoric)

Canmore ID 24861

Site Number NN72SW 1

NGR NN 7375 2429

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/24861

Ordnance Survey licence number AC0000807262. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Bluesky International Limited 2025. Public Sector Viewing Terms

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Druim Na Cille, NN72SW 1, Ordnance Survey index card, page number 2, Verso
Druim Na Cille, NN72SW 1, Ordnance Survey index card, page number 2, VersoDruim Na Cille, NN72SW 1, Ordnance Survey index card, RectoDruim Na Cille, NN72SW 1, Ordnance Survey index card, page number 1, RectoDruim Na Cille, NN72SW 1, Ordnance Survey index card, Recto

Administrative Areas

  • Council Perth And Kinross
  • Parish Comrie (Perth And Kinross)
  • Former Region Tayside
  • Former District Perth And Kinross
  • Former County Perthshire

Archaeology Notes

NN72SW 1 7375 2429 to 7380 2428.

(NN 7375 2432) A cairn circle, about 40ft diameter and 4ft maximum height, is about seventy yards east of the shepherd's cottage at Drumnakill, north of Dunira House. Several large blocks are exposed on the top.

Described by Gow as a raised enclosure, 25-30ft diameter, with a turf-covered wall or rampart 3 or 4ft high surrounding it. Traditionally it was a burying ground for unbaptised infants.

(NN 7377 2432) About twenty-five yards to the east is a prominent cup-marked boulder and lying in an almost straight line a few yards to the south there are five other blocks. These are said to have been set in a ring around the cup- marked boulder but this cannot now be confirmed.

F R Coles 1911; J M Gow 1888

At NN 7375 2429 are the remains of a bracken-and-turf-covered circular cairn (the cairn-circle described by Coles), 19.0m in diameter and 1.7m max-height. The top has been levelled and is enclosed by an old sheep fold, 11.6m in diameter. Some large boulders lie at the base on the east side. The cup-marked boulder, at NN 7380 2428, measures 1.7m long by 1.7m broad and 1.0m high. On its top are at least 15 cup-marks, some of which may be due to weathering. Nothing can be made of the stones lying to the south.

Surveyed at 6" scale.

Visited by OS (WDJ) 19 November 1968

The cairn has been destroyed in the process of land improvement. The large boulders were dragged to the field boundary some 50m to the NE where the impressive cup-marked stone can still be viewed.

J Sherriff 1979

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions