Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Kilbryde Castle

Country House (Period Unassigned), Tower House (Medieval)

Site Name Kilbryde Castle

Classification Country House (Period Unassigned), Tower House (Medieval)

Canmore ID 24735

Site Number NN70SE 9

NGR NN 75589 03675

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/24735

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Stirling
  • Parish Dunblane And Lecropt
  • Former Region Central
  • Former District Stirling
  • Former County Perthshire

Archaeology Notes

NN70SE 9.00 75589 03675 Kilbryde Castle

NN70SE 9.01 75589 03675 Walled garden

NN70SE 9.02 75524 03762 Stable Block with Dovecot

NN70SE 36 75559 02772 Kilbryde Chapel and Burial-Ground

(NN 7558 0367) Kilbryde Castle (NR).

OS 6" map, (1958).

Kilbryde Castle was entirely remodelled and enlarged in 1877-8. Before that date it was surrounded with enclosing walls and was of the L-plan. It is usually stated to have been built about 1460 by Sir James Graham but this is manifestly too early a date by a century at least. There was only one entrance door at the foot of the staircase, as was usual in the seventeenth century.

D MacGibbon and T Ross 1892.

Kilbryde Castle is entirely modern. The only trace of the original structure (Information from Mr J Fletcher, Kilbryde Castle Gardens, Nr Dunblane) is a course of rough stone-work along the base of the south and east sides of the existing mansion.

Visited by OS (RD) 8 November 1968.

Architecture Notes

NMRS REFERENCE:

Architect: Andrew Heiton - large additions, c.1870

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions