Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Dunblane, The Cross, Leighton Library

Library (17th Century)

Site Name Dunblane, The Cross, Leighton Library

Classification Library (17th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Cathedral Square; Cross Street; Bishop Leighton's Library

Canmore ID 24731

Site Number NN70SE 69

NGR NN 78185 01292

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/24731

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Administrative Areas

  • Council Stirling
  • Parish Dunblane And Lecropt
  • Former Region Central
  • Former District Stirling
  • Former County Perthshire

Archaeology Notes

NN70SE 69 78185 01292

Erected by Edward Lightmaker 1687; James Robinson, master of work. Two-storeyed, harled; vaulted ground floor of earlier date; N gable crowstepped; forestair to 1st floor; sculptured panel of Bishop Leighton's arms.

OSA 1793; NSA 1845; A B Barty 1944.

A 6m length of a narrow v-shaped stone-lined channel was excavated in the earth sub-floor of the Leighton Library. The channel was up to 200mm wide across the top and up to 70mm deep. It followed a sinuous course from the inner face of the north wall of the building in a south-easterly direction towards the street frontage. Several slabs were still in situ at the north end. The channel was cut into the natural gravel sub-soil. Its function and date are uncertain

although it is later than the north wall of the building which may be of 16th century date.

L Main 1988.

Library [NAT]

OS (GIS) MasterMap, July 2010.

Architecture Notes

NMRS REFERENCE:

Plans:

I G Lindsay Coll, W/193

(Undated) information in NMRS.

Activities

Publication Account (1997)

Leighton Library was a slightly later addition to The Cross. It was built in 1687 at the request of Edward Lightmaker, the nephew of William Leighton, bishop of Dunblane, 1662- 72, to house the books the bishop left to the diocese in his will. The two-storey, cream-washed building is of a relatively simple rectangular design with a steeply sloping tiled roof and crow-stepped gables. The east facade is plain with a forestair leading up to the moulded library doorway. An oval carved stone armorial panel in baroque style is to be seen on this facade. The west facade is slightly more detailed, with round-headed windows.

Information from ‘Historic Dunblane: The Archaeological Implications of Development’ (1997).

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions