Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Cluny Castle, Burial Ground

Burial Ground (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Cluny Castle, Burial Ground

Classification Burial Ground (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Cluny, Cladh Chluanaidh; Macphersons Of Cluny Burial Ground; Cladh Chlearnan

Canmore ID 24648

Site Number NN69SW 4

NGR NN 64263 94073

NGR Description Centred on NN 64263 94073

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/24648

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Laggan
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Badenoch And Strathspey
  • Former County Inverness-shire

Archaeology Notes

NN69SW 4 Centred on NN 64263 94073

For Cluny Castle (NN 6457 9429) and associated buildings, see NN69SW 2.00.

(NN 6426 9407) Cladh Cluanaidh (NR)

OS 6" map, Inverness, 2nd ed., (1903)

Cladh Chlearnan (NAT): applies to a small enclosed piece of ground supposed to have been at one time used by the Roman Catholics as a burying-place, of very ancient date, which is not exactly known: meaning 'St. Clarment's Graveyard'.

Name Book 1870.

Cladh Chluanaidh, the burial ground of the chiefs of the Clan Macpherson is enclosed by a stone wall and contains several old indistinct grave slabs. The last burial was in 1934, and it is now disused.

Revised at 1/2500

Visited by OS (N K B) 29 September 1965.

(NN 6426 9407) Cladh Chluanaidh (NAT) (Grave Yard)

OS 25" map, (1969)

Cladh Chluanaidh, a disused burial ground as described by the previous field investigator.

Visited by OS (J M) 28 February 1979.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions