Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

All our staffed properties, sites and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, are currently closed, but we’re working on plans to gradually reopen. In the meantime, you can access our services online. Find out more.

Callander, Ancaster Square, St Kessog's Church

Church (19th Century), Visitor Centre (20th Century), War Memorial(S) (20th Century)

Site Name Callander, Ancaster Square, St Kessog's Church

Classification Church (19th Century), Visitor Centre (20th Century), War Memorial(S) (20th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Callander Kirk; Rob Roy Tourist Information Centre; St Kessaig; War Memorial Plaque And Roll Of Honour

Canmore ID 24359

Site Number NN60NW 37

NGR NN 62872 07947

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/24359

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Stirling
  • Parish Callander
  • Former Region Central
  • Former District Stirling
  • Former County Perthshire

Archaeology Notes

NN60NW 37.00 62872 07947

Site of Church: " Previous to 1773, the date of erection of the present parish church, this was used as such and likewise as a school during the week but subsequently it was allowed to go to ruin and is now totally removed. It is supposed to have been originally a Roman Catholic Chapel, but as tradition is completely slient respecting it, no authentic information can be gained concerning it.

Name Book (Perthshire), 1865

A commodious building of an oblong form having a porch in front surmounted by a steeple. It was built in 1773 and contains 800 sittings. Number of communicants about 500. Property of the congregation.

Name Book (Perthshire), 1865

Architecture Notes

NN60NW 37.00 62872 07947

NN60NW 37.01 62890 07987 Hall

ARCHITECT: Robert Baldie, 1883

Callander Parish Church appears to have occupied this site since about 1773. This was when the Old Parish Church on Bridge Street was superceded by a new church 'not far distant' (see Archaeology Notes for Old Parish Church). The buildings on Ancaster Square were constructed from around this time, and a church is shown on this site on the 1st edition O.S. maps (1868). Robert Baldie's church replaced this structure in 1883.

The following references are regarding the pre-Baldie church.

REFERENCE:

SCOTTISH RECORD OFFICE

Callander. Building the new Church of Callander. Receipt for payment of the Duke of Montrose's propoertion of ?210.

Noted also in Cashier's accounts.

1772 GD 220/6/1486/4

GD 220/6/846/23

Callander. Building of a New Church.

Receipt for Lady Leny's proportion of the expense.

1773 GD 161/Box24/Bundle1

Purchase of a bell for the Parish Church.

Receipt for proportion of the cost due by the Duke of Montrose.

1785 GD 220/6/858/50

Activities

Project (February 2014 - July 2014)

A data upgrade project to record war memorials.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions